Everyone is a storyteller. In this episode, Annie Simon talks about the differences in visual storytelling between theater and film, finding the abiding purpose of a story, and trusting your intuition when it comes to a million tiny choices.
She also touches on society’s disconnection from how clothing is created and how that affects what we value. Cue the start of a new movement: #notaclothingwaitress.
“Costume design is anthropology. Psychology. It’s human connection through garments, obviously, but within that it’s about telling an individual story. Who is this person; what is their day? As well as a larger story. As an audience member, how do I view that person in this world? And what is the ultimate purpose of this storytelling tool for this particular piece?”Annie Simon
Links mentioned in today’s episode:
- Anesthesia — https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3317208/
- Tim Blake Nelson — https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0625789/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1
- Burn — https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8009314/?ref_=nm_flmg_cos_5
- Game of Thrones — https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1
- Queen Elizabeth’s Armada portrait — https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armada_Portrait
- The Business, podcast — https://www.npr.org/podcasts/381444775/k-c-r-w-s-the-business
- When Harry Met Sally — https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098635/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1
- The Post, walking out of court moment — https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6294822/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1
- Ann Roth — https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0744778/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1
- Steven Spielberg — https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000229/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1